When we bought our house last year, we always knew it came with quite a big garden as it's a semi detached corner plot, I don't think we were quite prepared for just how big it actually is though as the first time we viewed the house it was dark and the second time it was raining heavily and starting to get dark and believe me, photo's don't do it justice! The first time we saw the garden properly was when we got the keys, given that the house had been empty for 2 months before that, it was basically an overgrown jungle. After a good lawn cut and some ivy being cut back and dead trees being chopped down it looked much better. It also dawned on us just how much there was to do in the garden. I shared some photo's in this post last year of the garden so the last few images are basically what the garden looks like now (again though this does not give a true idea of the size of the garden). It was always my intention to begin the garden transformation this year and although we probably won't get everything done that we'd like to, we definitely want to make a good start on it. To help me, I have of course turned to Pinterest to provide me with some inspiration for projects I can undertake now and in the future. I've also made some calls to my green-fingered Dad for tips on planting bulbs etc!
So here's what we'd like to do this year...
- Plant some bulbs for the top patio, I've already bought the plant pots in the picture above so I just need to buy bulbs now, all the flowers in this photo are the kind of thing I plan to plant.
- Weed the planters on the back wall and put solar lights in them. Our garden has this really unusual feature on the back wall that's made up of little planters, unfortunately they're full of weeds at the moment.
- Wire up lights on the back wall and take down the old lights on the fence. The lights that are currently up look awful and throw out too much light, we want something that looks a little more relaxing like the two way lights in the picture above.
- Paint the fences. We have two fences, one that runs between us and our neighbour and one that runs from the top of the back garden right down to the end of the front garden so that's a lot of fence to paint, luckily it's in good condition it just needs brightening up with a lick of paint.
- Put up string solar lights on one of the fences, we both love the multi colour bulb ones in the picture above so I think we're going to go for those.
- Put up a sign. I really love those direction signs you can buy, I think I'm going to buy one like in the picture above and have it say 'here to Disney World'. Of course we had to have a bit of Disney in there somewhere!
And I think that's pretty much it for this year, there are of course other things we'd like to do eventually but I feel this list is going to go a long way in making the garden look so much better!